Monday 30 November 2015

Method and Reasoning so far in my MA Illustration



Now I am a couple of months into my MA Illustration I am having to carefully study my methodology and what is driving my thought process and ideas. I think the direction of my illustration has had a number of influencing factors so far:
 
Firstly the media I am using is currently and simply black Indian ink. This is influence by the black wood block prints of Leonard Baskin and their use in illustrating the work of Ted Hughes. They are brutal and primeval and I see these images tapping into something basic in nature, something gritty.

One of my latest drawings combined with a Ted Hughes Quote
I also enjoy the process of using the ink. I like the emphasis of the line and feel of the quill in the creation, this process an important part of the making. The organic nature of the ink  and it's sometimes unpredictable mark making gives the work a freedom. Yet, there is something exacting about the high contrast and permanent nature of the mark.
 
Secondly the subject matter has been inspired by nature and poetry written on this topic. Works by Ted Hughes, Emily Dickinson and Lionel George Fogarty - conjure up a range of imagery that I intend on illustrating. Much of what I have drawn so far has featured a range of motifs from the 'Crow' by Ted Hughes, including the crow its self and settings such as fields.
 
Thirdly I'm driven to understand a process of iconization and simplification that these sometimes pagan symbols, an ancestral interruption of nature, go through. These forms of nature that are symbolic images from history.
 
Fourthly I intend on trying to represent the collected imagery of a whole poem in one picture, a form of tableau or two dimensional totem. Potentially with the ability to convey a range of ideas or even present some overview or sense of the poems meanings. Each of these tableaus would be large and a work of art in their own right but yet an illustration. This final work would make up a series and as a whole potentially represent the poet's overarching themes.
 
I am interested in how the motives of the artist illustrator overlap with the work of the poet. Where the boundaries of people's interpretation exist and how together the works sit beside one another and enrich the overall meaning. The story illustrated, the meaning interpreted, a sense communicated?

No comments:

Post a Comment